Thursday, January 5, 2012

Organizing Desks and Bookshelves

Hello Everyone!
Happy 2012! I hope your start to the year has been a good one.
Mine has already started out on a very high note. I could not have asked for better!
  We are still waiting on my husband's official moving orders but this is "the" year.
Finally! As you know we will be moving sometime in the late spring or early summer.
I have already purchased a new aqua geometric shaped lamp and pillows that I plan to add to
 the chocolate brown guest room. They came from Kirklands with a gift card I got for Christmas.
Hooray! You gotta love getting a gift card to your favorite store. I miss decorating and
posting more often. Please stick with me! I appreciate those of you that have. Also don't
forget I'm always on Pinterest or Face Book if you don't see me here. Come join me!
~*~
Join me to see my bookshelf organizing along with some inspiration from Pinterest.
 Most of us start out the new year with some cleaning, organizing goals.
I really enjoy organizing our home and am always looking for new ideas.
 I already had the blue polka dotted fabric boxes and when I spotted
the same style of photo album and scrap book at Target I was inspired.
A very special family has recently come into my life and I need a place for keepsakes.  
 I bought them into the bonus room and decided to rearrange my little bookshelf.
This was the perfect opportunity to donate the books I wasn't reading anymore.
Here is the after! It's clean and fresh with a pop of fun color.
 I ended up with an entire bag full of books ready to go to a good cause.
Even Chestnut got a new snazzy black frame. It fits him well...:)
 Here is a unique idea from Pinterest. A double sided desk unit.
I really like the hanging blue baskets for magazines or artwork.
 A built in desk and shelving unit in a deep chocolate brown.
The roman shade is a nice touch along with the accessories.
 This is perfect for a teen! An armoire desk in aqua blue. Very cute and stylish.
The shelves are arranged neatly with storage boxes in white. The framed prints look pretty too.
 A bright white office looks airy and very inviting.
The pop of warm red gives it a homey feel.
 How about multiple memo boards for large families?
This is a terrific idea for a desk in a kitchen.
 A cozy reading nook, shelves and a ladder adds a little something extra.
I have never been good at crafts but this precious room makes me want to get started.
Love those striped chairs and floor along with the ribbon dispenser.
~*~
How about you? Have you started any new organizing projects for 2012?
I'm more than ready to face the challenges of a brand new year!
Have a wonderful week!

31 comments:

Amanda Mae said...

Very inspiring! I'm definitely working on getting my house organized, but I have GOT to get my desk at work organized, fast! Tired of living with the piles :)

Teri said...

Great ideas! I am stoked to organize!!

Rosie said...

Oh, I love those polka dotted storage boxes! It looks like you are well on your way to being organized! I hope to hear more about the special family, and hope you share pics of your new lamp and pillows...aqua seems to be a popular color, and with good reason, it's so pretty especially pared with brown.

Barbara F. said...

I am taking down my Christmas decor this weekend and after doing a scrub a dub dub I will be rearranging and storing and, yes, donating to my favorite thrift store. This post has inspired me. xo

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Those offices/crafing areas all look soooo great!! I'd love to have any one of them! Thank you for the inspiration, Melissa! blessings ~ tanna

Nancy W said...

Very nice! Any chance you can put links on the photos to where you got them so that we can look into them further :) Great post!

Lola and Bea said...

I am going room by room de-cluttering and cleaning as I go. The photos are beautiful and inspiring. I would love to take a room and make it totally fit my needs. In my dreams. Hehe!

Melissa Miller said...

Nancy they are all linked on my Organization board on Pinterest!

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

Your bookshelf looks fantastic. Many of your books look familiar. :) I am also working on a bookshelf this week! Sounds like we all have an organizing bug! lol Happy New Year!

Richella said...

Hi Melissa! Your new accessories look great, and I love to see how you organize things. I wish I could hire you to come to my house and organize ME! It would take a lot of work, believe me.

Love that photo of Mr. Chestnut. What a lucky cat!

Happy New Year to you, sweet lady. May 2012 be a wonderful year for you!

Jo said...

I'm working on orgazining our basement and my teaching supplies and files ~ this may take all year! ;) Love all the pretty organizational goodies you have posted.

Happy New Year ~
Jo

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Happy New Year, Melissa! This is definitely an inspiring post! You are The Queen of organization!! These were great images and will come in handy when I reorganize my office!

Jemsmom said...

I am about to go into purging mode myself! Great inspiration pictures! That two sided bookcase/desk is awesome!!!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Fabulous organizing ideas... that's what I'm attempting to do this month, organize! What a job but the results are always great. Love your book shelf reorganization! The pop of color is great and the books displayed facing forward are great incentive to pick one up or just enjoy the beauty of the book itself.

Great post! Hugs, Sherry

Suzy said...

Hi Melissa. Love your newly organized bookcase - the colors really pop!

CAS said...

Great boxes & albums you used! I really like looking at all kinds/types of storage. I'm in a total "re-org" mode, and The Man is going along with it -- kicking and screaming, of course! Good luck on everything!
CAS

Kelly said...

It's so good to hear that you are doing well. Sounds like you're very optimistic about 2012 and you should be! I actually did most of my organizing in my basement in December (of all times)! But it really helped with storing the holiday decor after we were finished with it and donating things for our last "tax deduction". Ha! It feels good to have things cleaned out, doesn't it? Your new blue storage boxes look great in your room.

Charlee said...

I love some of the ideas you have posted.Although I have a scrapbook house I don't use it much because I am not crafty...Have a blessed day Melissa:)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love that last one and the nice big room with all the white pieces, Melissa! I wish I had that much room to devote to an office and/or craft room! Once I get our Christmas stuff a way, I'll be on an organizing mission. I've been finding that, since our move, I haven't been able to locate things easily and I need to fix that.

Savvy Seasons said...

Great ideas and your room looks great. Love that picture of Chestnut, he's so cute! xo ~Liz

Nicole Day said...

Happy New Year! I am wrestling with organizing a bookcase in my family room, and two in my office (terribly messy). I'm inspired. Thank you, Melissa!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Lots of pretty pictures!!! Any word on where you'll be moving to??? We *might* be moving ourselves but I'll be so sad to leave Italy early if it happens. Oh well, promotions are worth it!!

Joy said...

I love all those idea's. That is one of my goals for the year. Get more organized and write more things down.

Maria Elena said...

Happy New Year, Melissa!
It is so good to hear from you!
I love your idea of organizing with those pretty boxes and I specially love your inspiration picture of the craft room, because, you won't believe me, that picture has also been my inspiration for weeks now and, after a lot of planning and moving furniture around the house during the holidays, my husband is helping me set up a beautiful craft room! I am so excited!
Thank you for all the great tips on storage!

Justabeachkat said...

Lots of good ideas! I love Pinterest too!

Big weekend hugs,
Kat

simon said...

I want to take this moment to say that I really love this blog. It has been a good resource of information for me. Thank
roofer Aledo TX

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I wish I was more organized. I need to work on it. Yours looks nice. Thanks for joining the party, Melissa.

Roz said...

Great room ideas, Melissa! I LOVE and nearly LIVE on Pinterest! Happy New Year!

Angela said...

I love organizing my house. Those polka dotted boxes are adorable. I'm going to be setting up a home office over the next few months and I love some of the pinterest ideas you showed.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Connie ❀ said...

Good for you and I like the color you are using. In your first picture I spotted a book on the floor that looked familiar. Is it "Simple Abundance "? If so, it's a good book.
Love your new colors.

Helen's Decor said...

Melissa, oh, have you ever hit the right spot today. I've been de-cluttering my bonus room for ages...and ages. Goodwill picked up the loveseat, computer desk, and desk chair a week or so ago. So freeing to clear it out.

I posted what is tempting me now a couple of days ago. You might love it, too!

Best wishes for the New Year and your move! Helen