Thursday, July 5, 2012

Adding Aqua Blues

Hello Everyone!
I hope you all had a fun filled holiday. We ended up seeing a movie and going out to dinner.
We needed to stay indoors and beat this humid heat. I think I'm ready for cooler temps already.
~*~
I'm still on my quest to "lighten and brighten" our home decor room by room.
I have been thinking about adding another color as an accent to our family room and have
decided on aqua blue. It should go well with the existing ivory walls, leather and moss green.
After finding this pillow at Marshalls as my inspiration I'm ready to do more shopping soon.
I'll share the process as I find the look I'm after. Finally after six years I will change the mantle.
It's hard to believe but it really has been that long with the exact same picture and stuff on it.
Join me to see my starting point and some inspiration from Pinterest!
The last 7 photos can be found on my boards Wall Accents and Home Accessories.
 I'm starting with ivory walls, leather furniture and the moss green accents.
 This pillow is my starting point. It has the aqua blue color that I'm going to add.
Does it show on your screen? It may be hard to see unless it's in person.
 Light cream has slowly been working it's way in this room as well.
 I bought the light cream pillars at Ross.
 Here is the mantle now. I'm ready to find new art, candles etc...! 
 This aqua velvet stool would provide extra seeating and add a punch of color.
 I'm drooling over this aqua blue and stenciled armoire.  
 This looks like a darker aqua/turquoise painted piece. Pretty!
Maybe a mirror in cream would also work on the mantel? Hmmm...?
 Love everything about this!
 I could add a tray of aqua glass to bring in the color. Easy!
 How about some new lamps in aqua blue? Yes! I'm ready to shop now. 
A wooden monogram could be painted aqua, tied with ribbon and hung.
I can't wait to share the before and afters with you! Inspiration can be found anywhere.
Who would have thought one little pillow would get my decorating wheels turning so much.
Have you ever bought one item that made you change a room?
~*~
Have a wonderful weekend!

28 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Hi Melissa! I love aqua blue, and next time I paint my bedroom, that is the color for me. I am sure your mantel will be just beautiful when you are finished. xo

All Ways Designing said...

You always have such great ideas Melissa - and I love the aqua blue!! Can't wait to see what you do with the mantel.

Jan ♥

Kelly said...

I think aqua would be a great accent color with cream and brown! I once had that color in my home and loved it for a very long time. I still have bits of it here and there. To answer your question.......yes! I have completely changed an entire room around one piece before. It helps to have some inspiration!

Emelia DiCarlo said...

Love the aqua, paisley pillow, you have great vision...the pillars, oh my!!!!!!Love paisley too.....Vera B. has new gorgeous paisley print out now.....thank you Melissa, happy fourth.....hot here too, 96 degrees. After hi humidity, who is counting LOL! Don't breathe well in tropical patterns, stay cool.Love everything:)

Becca said...

YES, I totally understand how one little thing can become a springboard!! I love the pillows and look forward to seeing what beautiful aqua pieces you add, Melissa!

Stacey said...

Hi Melissa. I'm trying to do the same thing in my new house...time to change up my red and gold some. It's exciting but it takes awhile to make the aqua blue seem like it belongs. Time to collect. :)

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Melissa, the aqua accents would be a lovely addition to your home! You have such pretty accent pieces; and I know anything that you do, will be perfect!

Savvy Seasons said...

Hi Melissa,
I also look forward to seeing your new aqua pieces. I love your inspiration photos. And, YES, I have also been inspired by one item and it surely got my wheels turning! ;) Whatever you come up with, it will be lovely! XO ~Liz

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Melissa aqua accents would look beautiful in that room!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

I love aqua accents too and think the color will look fabulous in your home!

I love so many of the pictures you posted! Fun!

Pam

Barb S said...

I can't wait to see your new accents in your room. I love aqua and would love to get it into my home sometime in the near future!

Kris said...

I love the aqua blue bottles on the tray! Aqua reminds me of the ocean, summertime and seashells!

Stay cool! :)

Diane said...

I love the aqua armoire and hassock! I am saving those pix for my own reference!

Joy said...

Very pretty, I like the aqua glass!

Traci said...

I love the pillows & the big monogram on the door too.

Twinkle Terrior said...

You have such pretty style!

Sonia said...

Love that aqua blue as accents! What a statement it makes and oh so pretty! Love the stenciled chest! Beautiful pictures and inspiration!

Miss Bloomers

CAS said...

The aqua is so pretty & really seems to fit into so many color schemes. I love that aqua armoire -- now that would definitely be a statement piece.

Try to stay cool!
CAS

Cricket said...

Aqua...just the right color. You have such winderful taste!!

Brittany said...

What a pretty pillow! I LOVE aqua blue, I think it's a perfect accent color. Have fun shopping! Can't wait to see what all you find =)

Shana said...

I love turquoise/aqua!!

Maria Elena said...

Melissa, I think you have a great starting point. The material on the pillow is beautiful! I love, love, aqua blue! If you remember, that is the color I choose for my bedroom, which, by the way, I am still trying to finish! LOL Your inspiration pictures are gorgeous!

Gypsy Heart said...

I love turquoise and the various shades of it. I think it will look fantastic in your room. The armoire is gorgeous! Maybe find a large mirror and paint the frame a shade that you want to bring in. Would add a nice pop of color and not be garish at all. What ever you decide on will be lovely.

Yes, one pillow or even a picture frame can change things in my head! :-)

xo
Pat

MySweetCreations said...

I love aqua, it is my color!

Dani said...

Hi Melissa! Your room is lovely and the aqua looks great. Blessings, Dani

lori carolina said...

I'm doing some major drooling over some of these pictures! LOVE the velvet stool, so pretty!!!!!

34350c30-6666-11e1-a751-000bcdcb471e said...

Hi Melissa! I absolutely love the candle holders on your mantle! Please do not get rid of them!!! If you are considering to change, please send them to me! I will give them a wonderful home.

mischy said...

financial advisors sydney

Aqua blue brings a calming and relaxing effect. I like it very much. I might paint my room with this color. Thanks for the inspiration.